Sunday, May 26, 2013

Books and Feels

I have often tried to explain in words the emotional state I go through when I flip through your pages and tap away page after page and watch the story unravel. To describe the omnipotent happiness I feel when I plunge into the world that you sketch and reel from the thrill of running with Katniss dodging Fireballs, or feel Eragon’s very first flight with Saphira (albeit not a good one), the endless tireless search for Penryn’s sister, Trek with Saba through the red Dustlands, grow with Harry from an orphan to a brave wizard and experience Yelena tasting the very first of the poisons. I remember watching Lizzie reject Mr. Darcy’s first attempt at a proposal, laughed at Becky’ effort at controlling her shopping urges and cried with Jane when she felt betrayed. I explored Grisha with Alina and ran with Eva from the hunters who kill clones. I watched Yukiko avenge her mother's death and felt Ella’s terror at being used as weapon against Char.I let your writers mangle my guts and twist them with their pen strokes and give them authority to mess with my nerves, yanking on emotional chords I didn’t know existed, by just allowing them to capture their minds onto paper. To call them ‘fictionalized characters’ feels wrong because you know they live and breathe through those pages and words. They are nonetheless but, and it’s sad when you don’t get to live with them anymore for they’ve found peace and closure but you haven’t had enough of their magical lives (I’m sure it’s not hard to guess which book I’m referring to here) You bring highs and lows and yet you aren’t a living thing. How wonderful it is to find reprieve in your world, when it gets rough here. Sometimes you give me hope, sometimes you give me despair and most times I feel everyone perseveres and there is hope. And I still can’t find words to describe why I persist on finding the best of you even after reading a countless number of crap ones. The power you have over me sometimes scares the shit out of me but it’s human nature I guess to go after things that bring out the most volatile feelings in you.
References (in the order of which mentioned)
  1. The Hunger Games-Suzanne Collins
  2. Eragon (The Inheritence Cycle)- Christoper Paolini
  3. Harry Potter
  4. Blood Red Road by Moira Young
  5. The Poison Study by Maria V Snyder
  6. Pride and Prejudice
  7. Confessions of a Shopaholic-Sophie Kinsella
  8. Jane Eyre
  9. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
  10. The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna
  11. Storm Dancer by Jay Kristoff
  12. Ella Echanted by Gail Carson Levine

1 comment:

  1. They control us, these evil things! They have us wrapped around their little finger!

    ReplyDelete