Friday, August 5, 2011

It's Torture!

So a friend once commented on the Muslims' idea of slaughtering animals, for food. 'Its torture!'. Then, and I'm not proud to say it but I didn't have an appropriate answer, so I just made do with: 'there's a reason, behind everything' which in other words simply meant 'Shut up and don't comment on things that are beyond your level of understanding', she did shut up understanding she'd gone into uncharted territory (now, THAT would be 'my wrong-side' of course) . In my defense, I am a genuinely egotistic person, and people occasionally wrong me, with good reason of course, on second thought even if they do, I don't accept it, it's probably a 'Leo' thing but that's besides the point.
So I was just going through a few videos of Dr Zakir Naik (here I will assume that you know who he is, and if you don't; firstly: HOW CAN YOU NOT!? and secondly :"Watchu have google for!"), and I came across one, about Misconceptions in Islam, where he repeatedly states, every Muslim must know an answer to these misconceptions, so that people can see beyond their opinions and move on to actually see the beauty of Islam. That's when I found the answer to that comment made by my friend, months ago. The answer is: "Scientific tests have proven that when the animal's throat is slit along with the windpipe and the vein (without damage to the spinal cord), the animal dies a painless death. The animal twitches its legs, it is not because of pain but because the heart has pumped out all the blood from the legs. It is this twitching of the lags, this thrashing about of the dying animal that leads the non-Muslim to believe that the animal is in pain. Blood carries toxins and impurities that are harmful for humans. Islam prohibits the eating/drinking of blood. Meat without blood lasts longer than meat with blood in it." For those of you who have come across such comments but have had simply no answer to give them. You'll find this link helpful, especially in situations where you want to go "HAH-in your face!": http://www.islamawareness.net/Islam/misconcep.html

Until next time!

3 comments:

  1. I find that amazing, and also how there are specific ways to slaughter in Islam, one of them is that the animal shouldn't see the knife before being killed..

    Why do people think of it as a Muslim thing though? Non-muslims also kill animals for their meat :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. jnana! as usual! ur questions make my brain ache. Lol BUT! i have an answer; they find the idea of an animal being slain (from the neck) just so that it can be eaten, repulsive. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This shows that no matter what we do in Islam, that many might disapprove of, there is always a valid explanation. I like what I read here :')

    P.S. I was looking for your blog and I yay-ed when I found you!

    ReplyDelete